- 1. How do I manage my private messages?
If you have your own Playforia account, you automatically own a private message inbox and archive. You can find your private messages as follows;
- Go to your profile
- Click "Messages" on the top right in the menu
- Your inbox will automatically open
Your private messages are divided into three folders (displayed on the right top under "Folders"): Inbox, Sent and Archive. You can browse the different folders by clicking on their links.
You can define how many messages you want to display in the overview by using the dropdown menu at the left bottom at "Messages per page".
Unread messages are displayed in bold and have a closed envelope displayed on their left. Read messages have an opened envelope displayed on their left.
Limited storage space
You can only have a limited amount of messages in your folders. You can see how full the folder is on the folder view, below the list of messages at "Folder usage". If your inbox is full, you will be advised to either delete some messages or move messages to your archive.
Do note that any message in your Inbox folder that is older than six months is automatically deleted. Only the messages in the "Archive" folder are saved permanently.
- Click the checkbox on the right of a message(s) and click the text link "Delete" in order to delete
- Click the checkbox on the right of a message(s) and click the button "Move to archive" in order to move
Viewing a message
You can view a message by clicking it in the message overview list. On top you can see the subject, the sender and the date. Below that, the actual message is displayed.
Below the message there are several options available for you;
- Click "Back" to return to the message overview
- Click "Block user" to block the user (all the sender's messages will be deleted and the person can no longer contact you" - unblocking someone works the same as in the guestbook » )
- Click "Move to archive" in order to move the message
- Click "Reply" to write a reply message (the message that was send to you is then displayed as a quote)
Writing a private message
You can write a private message as follows;
- Go to your profile, click "Messages" at the right top in the menu, click the text link "Send new private message" and at "to" write the nickname of the recipient or use the dropdown menu to choose one of your friends
OR - Go to the profile of the person you wish to contact and click "Send PM"
OR - Click "Reply" when viewing a message you've received
- Write your message
- Click "Send"
- The recipient will automatically get a notification about the message
Using colours and links
You can use BB-code and the other text editing options from the menu
in order to spice up your message. Make sure the "Use BB-codes" and/or "Use smilies" checkboxes below the message view are checked.
For more information about how to do
so, please go to spicing up messages and texts.
Private messaging in chatrooms
You are also able to send and receive private messages in the chatrooms;
- Click a nickname in the player list
- Check the check box labeled "Private" at the bottom of the window
- The message you type will only be visible for the person you selected
- Private chat messages targeted to you will be clearly highlighted in a different colour
- 2. How do I add/edit a description to my profile?
You can use your profile description to share a little something about yourself, in order for your visitors to get to know you better. You can write (almost) anything you like, so let your imagination flow!
You can fe, use this option to describe your avatar, to challenge other gamers to play against you, to express your poetic thoughts!
However, always keep in mind this is a family site, and thus, public messages should be written appropriately.
Display of the description box
You can choose to hide or display your description box on your profile;
- To hide your description box, hover with the mouse on the right top corner of the box and click the red X icon
- To recover your hidden description box, click the green + icon with the text "Customise" on the right top of the page and click the "Description" icon. The description box will then appear on your profile, and you may choose to drag it to the placement of your choice
The description will only be visible in the Playforia country you've created it in, allowing you to create descriptions in different languages in different Playforia countries.
Even though your - or someone elses - description might be hidden from their profile frontpage, the description will always be available by selecting "Description" from the profile pages drop down menu on the top left.
Adding/editing the description text
- Go to your profile
- Click the text link "Edit your description" at the top of your description box, or, select "Description" from the profile dropdown menu on the left top and click "Edit your description"
- Write/edit your description (with a max. total of 20000 characters)
- Click "Save your description" to save
Using colours and links
You can use BB-code and the other text editing options from the menu in order to spice up your message. For more information about how to do so, please go to spicing up messages and texts.
- 3. What is a guestbook and where can I find mine?
Everyone with their own Playforia account, automatically own a guestbook on their user profile. This is a place for visitors to leave a message.
You can choose to hide or display your guestbook box on your profile;
- To hide your guestbook, hover with the mouse on the right top corner of the box and click the red X icon
- To recover your hidden guestbook box, click the green + icon with the text "Customise" on the right top of the page and click the "Guestbook" icon. The guestbook box will then appear on your profile, and you may choose to drag it to the placement of your choice
Entries older than six months may be hidden. If this is the case, a link to view the entries is displayed at the right bottom of the guestbook page.
Even though your - or someone elses - guestbook might be hidden from their profile frontpage, the guestbook will always be available by selecting "Guestbook" from the profile pages drop down menu on the top left.
- 4. How do I post/remove a message in a guestbook?
Anyone with a Playforia account can post messages in guestbooks (unless the user has been blocked from the guestbook). When posting messages, treat one another with mutual respect and do keep in mind this is a family site, and thus, public messages should be written appropriately.
Here's how to post a message;
- Go to the guestbook you want to post a message
- Click the text link "Add new message"
- Write your message and press "Save"
- A notification about your post will be send to the owner of the guestbook
If you wish to reply to a message in your own guestbook;
- Open your guestbook and go to the message you wish to reply to
- Click the text link "Add reply"
- Write your message and press "Save"
Removing a post
You can only remove messages from your own guestbook, so if you post in someone else's guestbook, make sure not to write anything you might regret later!
Here's how to remove a message from your own guestbook;
- Open your guestbook and go to the message you wish to remove
- Click the the small downward arrow on the right, next to "Add reply"
- Select "Delete entry" from the dropdown menu
- You will be asked for confirmation
Colours and links
You can use BB-code and the other text editing options from the menu in order to spice up your message. For more information about how to do so, please go to messages and texts.
- 5. How do I (un)block a person from my guestbook?
Here's how to block a person from your guestbook;
- Go to the message in your guestbook written by the person you wish to block
- Click the small downward arrow on the right, next to "Add reply"
- Select "Block user" You will be asked for confirmation
- The person you've blocked is no longer able to post in your profile or
contact you by private message, and any messages written by the person
will be removed from your profile and inbox
Here's how to unblock someone;
- Go to your profile
- Click "Settings" on the right top in the menu
- If you have any users in your blocklist, you can find the list displayed at the bottom of the page
- Click the trashbin icon next to the person you wish to unblock
- The messages the unblocked person has written to you before will, however, not return
- 6. What is a blog and how do I find/use mine?
If you have your own Playforia account, you automatically own a blog on your
user profile. This is a place for you to express yourself and write about your every day thoughts, put your emotions into poetry, or share your ideas in any other form of text.
a. Display of the blog box
You can choose to hide or display your blog box on your profile;
- To hide your blog box, hover with the mouse on the right top corner of the box and click the red X icon
- To recover your hidden blog box, click the green + icon with
the text "Customise" on the right top of the page and click the
"Blog" icon. The blog box will then appear on your profile,
and you may choose to drag it to the placement of your choice
Note! If the profile blog box is hidden because you've never written any blog posts, the blog box can not be moved into the
However, you could write a new entry to display box!
Even though your - or someone elses - blog might be hidden
from their profile frontpage, the blog will always be available by
selecting "Blog" from the profile pages drop down menu on the top
b. Writing/editing/deleting an entry
Before posting messages, think about what you are publishing. This is a family site, and thus, public messages should
be written appropriately.
To write an entry, proceed as follows;
- Go to your profile and select "Blog"
- Enter the subject of your post and write your text below
- You can use BB-code and the other text editing options from the menu in
order to spice up your message. For more information about how to do so,
please go to spicing up messages and texts
- Select if you want to display the entry to "everyone", "my friends" or "myself"
- Click "Save"
If your blog entry is set to be displayed to everyone, it will be visible on the Community page at "Latest blog posts" for a while as well. Your friends will be able to see your new post in their profile in the "What's happening right now?" box (if displayed), if the message isn't set to be displayed to "myself".
All your blog entries are displayed in the list on the right.
To edit/delete an entry;
- Click the entry you wish to edit and click the text link "Edit this entry" at the top of the post
- Click the trash bin icon next to the entry you wish to delete, you will be asked for confirmation
Inappropriate blog entries set for public display may be removed by the Playforia staff without prior notice. In such cases, your account may get banned or even totally removed from
our services. Once measures have been taken, the decision is final and
can not be corresponded about.
The people who can post comments, depend on the display settings of the blog entry and on the block list of the blog owner.
Posting comments, replying to comments, removing comments and (un)blocking people from a blog works the same as in the guestbook »
d. Heart Rate
In addition to comments, blog posts can also be rated. If you like a blog post you see, click the heart on the right top of the post. The amount of hearts given to each post are also displayed in the overview menu on the right.
- 7. What is a poll and how do I use it?
A poll is a survey you can create on your profile, to see what your visitors think of a certain topic. It allows you to ask a question or make a statement, and give your visitors different opinions/options to vote for. Polls can be as creative, serious or funny as you like to make them.
Poll box display
- To display the poll box, go to your profile, click the green + icon with the text "Customise" on the right top of the
page and click the "Poll" icon. The poll box will then appear
on your profile, and you may choose to drag it to the placement of your
- To hide the poll box, hover with the mouse on the right top corner of the box and click the red X icon
The poll box is hidden by default if you've never created any polls.
Creating a poll
Before creating a poll, think about what you are publishing. What is the topic you'd like to get opinions about, and what kind of options will you give your visitors to vote for? Always keep in mind this is a family site, and thus, public messages should be written appropriately.
- Click the text link "Add new poll" at the top of the poll box (or use the link at the right bottom of the box)
- At step 1, write the question/statement you'd like to collect opinions about
- At step 2, give at least two options for people to vote on
- At step 3, set the duration of the poll to define how many days your visitors have to vote (the default is 7 days)
- Click "Publish"
Your poll is displayed on your profile and your visitors can start voting. The poll is only visible in the Playforia country you've created it in, so you can run multiple polls in different languages in different Playforia countries.
Once the voting period is over, the poll remains displayed on the site and shows the results, until you create a new one or delete it.
You may choose to hide/display the poll box, or, create a new poll even while the poll period hasn't ended yet.
You can vote on a poll by clicking one of the options in the list. After this, you can see how many votes each option got.
When a poll period has ended, you can no longer vote on any of the options, and the results of the poll are displayed.
Editing/removing a poll
Once you've created a poll, you can not edit it anymore. In this case, you'd have to remove the poll and create a new one.
- To remove a poll, go to your profile
- Click "Remove poll" on the right bottom of the poll box
Your poll will be removed. If you have create a poll previous to the one you've removed, this poll will be displayed in the box instead (until you create a new one).
- 8. What is a forum and how do I use it?
The forum is a place for you to share your ideas and opinions about different topics with your friends and other gamers.
Rules and instructions
- Click here for tips and instructions about the Playforia Forum.
- Click here for the Forum rules and F.A.Q.
- 9. How do I spice up my messages and texts?
Whether you're writing your profile description, posting blog entries or posting messages anywhere else in Playforia (forum, guestbooks, galleries, private messages), there are many options available for you to define the look of your text.
You can use the simple options in the text editing menu below the messages for this, or, for more advanced looks, you can use BB-codes.
BB-codes are used to format your text. They are easy to learn and offer you a range of text formatting options.
By using BB-codes, you can add/define (click links for more info);
BB-code tags should always be opened and closed:
Whenever you want to format a word (or multiple words), you
enclose it between two nearly identical tags - the only difference
being that the latter tag must ALWAYS contain a forward slash (/). The
first BB tag tells us "this formatting style starts here" while the
latter one with the forward slash means "this formatting style ends
Note! Changing the colour, font type and font size does not work on our forum. You can still use them elsewhere, though.
You can apply different styles to your text as follows;
- Select the word(s) you want to style
- Click the B (for bold), I (for italic) or U (for underline) icon from the text editing menu below your message
- The BB-code to create the is automatically inserted in your message
You can also use BB-codes directly, which give you a couple more options;
- [acronym="descriptive text"]keyword[/acronym]
The acronym tag displays the descriptive text when hovering with the mouse on top of the keyword. This can be useful if you want to keep your text short, but still want to explain a little extra for people who might needed.
You can change the size of your text by using the BB-code size tag;
- [size=10]Font size 10[/size]
- [size=15]Font size 15[/size]
- [size=20]Font size 20[/size]
The value of the size tag can be any number from 7 to 25.
You can change the type of your text by using the BB-code font tag;
Keep in mind that not all fonts work on all computers, so you may want to only use standard fonts.
You can change define the colour of your text by using the BB-code color tag. You can define a colour by using one of the English colour terms below, or, use hexadecimal RGB codes if you are familiar with those.
black, brown, maroon, red, orange, yellow, olive, lime, green, teal, aqua, blue, navy, purple, fuchsia, gray, silver, white
Hexadecimal RGB codes (some examples):
- #000000 (black)
- #ffffff (white)
- #0000ff (blue)
Some examples of color tags:
- [color=blue]this text is blue[/color]
- [color=#0000ff]this text is also blue[/color]
If you're using hexadecimal RGB codes, always remember to start the code with the # symbol.
You can add a link to your text as follows;
- Select the word(s) you want to link
- Click the globe icon in the text editing menu below your message
- Enter the http address (url) of the page you want to link to
- Press "OK"
- The BB-code to create the link is automatically inserted in your message
The BB-code might look like this:
You can also add links to email addresses using the email-tag, of which the code might look as follows:
- [email@example.com]link to email address[/email]
The align BB tag can be used to define how text is positioned on the page.
- [align=left]this text is positioned to the left[/align]
- [align=right]this text is positioned to the right[/align]
- [align=center]this text is centered[/align]
- [align=justify]this text is justified[/align]
- [indent]this text has an indent[/indent]
If you want to quote someone else on the forum, for example to refer
to a point they made earlier, click the "Quote" button below the message, and a new message will open for you. You can use BB-codes directly.
The BB-code might look something like this:
- [quote]this is a quotation[/quote]
On the forum, you can also give the quote a title.
- [quote title="this is the title of this quote"]this is a quotation[/quote]
You can add an image to your text as follows;
- Click the photo icon in the text editing menu below your message
- Enter the http address (url) of the image
- Press "OK"
- The BB-code to create the image is automatically inserted in your message
The BB-code might look something like this:
Just make sure the address you include inside the img tags starts
with http:// and points to an actual image (in JPG, PNG or GIF format).
Don't forget that it's common courtesy not to link to images on other
people's servers - only link to images YOU have uploaded to YOUR gallery, image
host or web server.
You can also add lists, the BB-code will look something like this;
[*]first list item
[*]second list item
[*]third list item
There's one more tag might be useful in certain situations - the code
tag. Whatever is written within code tags is shown as-is: multiple
white spaces are not truncated to just one; BB-codes you write
are not used to format the text between them, and so forth.
Use the text editing menu below your message and click # and write your code inbetween the BB-code tags that appear in your message field.
The BB-code might look something like this:
just like it is
Special characters and smilies
Smilies are another way to express oneself. You can add a smiley or
other emoticon as follows;
- Clicking the smiley icon in the text editing menu below your message
- Clicking the icon of your choice
- The BB-code to create the smiley is automatically inserted in your message
You can also use BB-codes directly, fe :) ->
Special characters, such as the heart symbol ♥, can be entered in as well;
- Keep the ALT key on your
keyboard pressed while entering the ASCII code number with your numpad (the separate
set of number keys at the right end of your keyboard)
- When you release
the ALT key, the symbol is entered
Here are some examples of ASCII codes (more can be found on the internet);
- ALT + 1 and ALT + 2 = white and black smileys ☺☻
- ALT + 3 and ALT + 5 = heart and clover ♥ ♣
- ALT + 13 and ALT + 14 = music notation ♪ ♫
- ALT + 127 = house shaped pentagon ⌂
Note that some special characters do not work on our forums.
BB-code tags can also be combined. Don't forget that every tag has to be closed ("[/tag]"). A good way to close tags is to do it in the reverse order from which they were entered;
- [color=blue][size=15][b]Bold, blue, 15![/b][/size][/color]
- [url=http://www.playforia.com]=)[/url] ->